Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rob Ford - Racial Comments

In 2008, prior to being elected Mayor, Rob Ford was a council member for Ward 2, Etobicoke North. He was in a council meeting and arguing that stores should be able to be open on stat holidays. This argument was lost but Rob spoke and some member of council feel he was out of line. Rob was in the middle of a very passionate speech and said some comments about the Oriental community. He was trying to express how they are a very important part of our community but some feel it came out the wrong way.

One particular part that is being called racial was this :

"Those oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they are so successful in life. I went to Souel, South Korea. I went to Taipei. Taiwan. That's why these people are so hard workers. I'm telling you, the oriental people, they're slowly taking over."

Mayor David Miller, feels that he was stereotypical in his comments and that he should apologize for what was said. Toronto is a very diverse community and the Mayor feels like Ford was discriminating against the Asian population. Some of the Oriental community felt it was offensive even if he had good intentions

.Ford feels that what he said was removed from the context it was said in. Although people say that he was be racial, Ford states that he was paying them a compliment for their hard work. Ford stood by what he said and would not apologize for what he said.

I believe that what Ford said had good intentions but the way he said was wrong. It was belittling and made it seem like we just rely on them for their work and we should appreciate it because it's their nature. I feel the Asian community has every right to be upset with how he said what he did. But I also think they should feel proud of what he was trying to say to them. He showed strong belief in their work ethic and made it sound like we as a community, rely on them and their tenacity. All in all, when you say something and it comes out the wrong way, you should own up to your mistakes.

No comments: